AS9100 is an international management system standard for the aircraft space and defence industry (AS&D). This standard gives suppliers a comprehensive quality management system for providing safe and reliable products to the aerospace industry. AS 9100 also addresses civil and military aviation requirements.
AS9100 Rev D (The Latest Revision)
AS9100 was first released in 1999, but since then has undergone many alterations. The latest revision’s most significant update was largely to make it fully compliant with the ISO 9001:2015. This latest version coincides with the ISO 9001:2015 transition, to make moving into the revised AS9100 as easy as possible -- which is where Clear Quality can help.
The AS9100 D includes the following adjustments:
- Human factors taken into consideration regarding corrective action and management.
- Increased emphasis on the risks involved with operational processes.
- Reinforcing the requirement for being aware of how an individual contributes to service or product quality and safety.
- Configuration management clauses were improved to better serve stakeholder requirements.
- Added clauses focused on Counterfeit Parts Prevention.
AS9100 vs ISO 9001
This standard is in line with the ISO 9001, however there is more emphasis on: conforming to the customer, regulatory and statutory requirements (safety and airworthiness), configuration management, production process verification (first article inspection), and change control -- among other points. By working towards a QMS and gaining this certification, you assure your organisation consistently meets customers’ needs. You control the core processes that affect your customers such as design, sales orders, inspection, production and delivery.
How to Achieve AS9100 Accreditation
Understanding the Requirements
The best place to start is with us. We can arrange a no obligation, face-to-face meeting to help you thoroughly understand the AS9100 standard and discuss the steps that your business can take to reach certification. Our experienced consultants build a relationship with you and get to know your business. This means we can provide a bespoke and effective service that helps you feel at ease.
Implementing Changes (the requirements of AS9100)
The steps to reaching accreditation include, firstly, identifying the implementation team and creating a quality manual that defines your core business and objectives. This should include commitments towards meeting the requirements of the customer and compliance with the international standards.
Along with the policy, you will create and maintain high-level procedures as you work towards certification. These detail how the organisation’s processes are designed and controlled to ensure only the current version is available to employees.
If you currently have a quality management system in place, then our professional team provide a gap analysis to identify areas within your system that already meet the requirements of AS9100 standard and which parts you should target.
To reach AS9100 accreditation, organisations must continually monitor and document their QMS, and periodically review it, via internal audits and analysis of data. This ensures continual improvement and opportunities within the business. Management is responsible for an internal review of the QMS on a regular basis.
What are the Benefits of AS9100?
- Provides assurance to company management and employees, as well as external stakeholders, that quality is at the heart of your business.
- Gain a competitive advantage and the trust of stakeholders.
- Improve company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication.
- Increased profitability as productivity improves and rework costs are reduced.
- Increased customer satisfaction.
- Defects are caught early and corrected at a lower cost.
- Greater employee awareness.
How can Clear Quality help?
We have a team of qualified and dedicated consultants that will support you and your business every step of the way by creating, implementing and managing the perfect quality management system. This QMS will suit your individual business’s needs and objectives, ensuring compliance to the requirements of the international standards, and work with you to continually improve the quality across your provision.
Contact Clear Quality today for a free no obligation chat.